1. Moodle Sites 2022-23
Moodle course and unit sites for 2022-23 are available for staff from the Moodle dashboard. For further information on how to prepare your Moodle sites see:
- Staff Guide to Moodle Unit Sites (PDF for Media School, Design School & International Studies)
- Screen School – 22/23 Moodle Checklist (Screen School only)
- Attend the Preparing Your Moodle Sites staff development session.
If you are missing any sites on your Moodle dashboard contact your Programme’s Course Support Administrator. See Course Support Staff (UAL Login required)
Moodle was transferred to the cloud in July to provide improved performance and capacity to manage peaks in demand, especially over the start of term. Read Starting the 22/23 academic year with improved Moodle hosting (UAL login required).
2. Introducing Moodle to students
Students are automatically enrolled on Moodle sites based on their SITS record. Students will be added to their 2022-23 Moodle sites once they have fully enrolled online with the University.
When you introduce your students to Moodle, encourage them to visit the Studying Online guide, and let them know, that if they need support using UAL digital learning platforms, they can visit or email The Digital Space (Room: WG26 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
Students should be directed to MySupport if a platform or account are not working.
3. September Staff Development Weeks
During staff development weeks (12th to 23rd September) there are a variety of digital learning sessions for staff including: Getting started with Panopto, Going further with Miro, Using Ally and Creating accessible Word documents. See Digital Learning September Staff Development for the full list of sessions.
4. Recording on-site teaching
For 2022-23 there will be two options for recording on-site presentations & demonstrations (lecture capture):
- Portable AV equipment is available to borrow to use with your own laptop. See How to Record
- New lecture capture-enabled spaces and upgraded equipment in the three lecture theatres will be introduced during the Autumn Term. See LCC Lecture Capture Spaces (UAL login required).
Lecture capture recordings are made and published using Panopto (see below) and shared with students on Moodle. Read Why record lectures? for guidance on the benefits to students.
During Autumn Term, when LCC is re-opened, in-person training sessions will be offered for the portable AV equipment and new lecture capture-enabled spaces.
5. Panopto for video recording & publishing
Panopto, a UAL digital learning platform, is the recommended tool for creating, captioning, editing, and publishing videos for teaching. It can be used for lecture capture recordings and pre-recorded material.
Panopto is integrated into Moodle. To use Panopto you will need to enable Panopto on your 2022-23 Moodle sites (known as ‘provisioning’). See How to provision (enable) Panopto in Moodle (text) or watch the video guide.
6. Teaching online when you are on-site
The College has installed cameras and monitors in a range of tutorial spaces across School academic neighbourhoods to enable staff to deliver online tutorials and online teaching activities when they are working on-site. See LCC Hybrid Tutorial Spaces (UAL login required).
7. Using non-UAL digital platforms for teaching and learning activities
UAL provides a suite of digital learning platforms for use by staff and students: Moodle, Blackboard Collaborate, Panopto, Workflow, myblog, Padlet, Miro & Microsoft Teams.
All other platforms, referred to as ‘non-UAL digital platforms’, can sometimes be used for teaching and learning activities but there are restrictions. Read Use of non-UAL digital platforms in learning and teaching before using any other platforms with students.
8. Getting Help
If you need any help preparing for the start of term or teaching the online elements of your course during the year you can:
- Find guidance via the UAL Teaching Online website and for additional LCC-specific information, see the LCC Teaching Hub.
- Contact the LCC Digital Learning team (Email: LCCDigitalLearning@lcc.arts.ac.uk)
- Contact The Digital Space (email@example.com) to discuss inductions for your students on platforms such as Workflow.
Image credit: 8 by Ishikawa Ken (CC BY-SA 2.0)